This is a delicious hearty soup that makes good use of winter veggies and leftover or fresh pork. The added lemon juice at the end gives an unexpected and very pleasing flavour. It takes no more than 20 minutes once your prep work is down.
- 2 tablespoons butter or bacon fat (you can also use some fatty bits from your leftover pork)
- 1 shallot (or 1/4 red onion) chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger, plus one 2-inch piece, peeled and smashed
- 1/4-1/2 head green cabbage or savoy cabbage (about 4 cups)
- 1.5 L chicken broth or homemade stock
- 3-4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 2 teaspoons salt (less if your stock is very salty)
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 pound uncooked pork tenderloin, cut into approximately 1 1/2-inch-long-by-1/4-inch-wide strips, or whatever shredded pork you have leftover from your pulled pork sandwiches or cooked pork tenderloin
- Juice from 1/2 – 1 lemon
- Chopped fresh parsley
1. In a large soup pot, melt the butter or fat over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook, stirring occasionally, until it gets soft or slightly translucent. Stir in the minced ginger and garlic and the cabbage and cook for 1 minute longer.
2. Add your broth and diced potatoes, smashed ginger, and the salt. Bring to a boil. Stir and reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are soft, about 10 minutes.
3. Add the pork and cook until the pork is just done, approx. 3 minutes. If using pre-cooked pork you can add and cook for 1 minute just to heat the pork. Stir in the lemon juice and chopped parsley. Take out the smashed ginger. Serve with homemade crackers – recipe coming soon!
Notes: One time I forgot to add the cabbage until after the potatoes and it still turned out great. I also have used water instead of broth and because of the delicious flavours it still tastes yummy – just check if you need extra salt if you opt for water. Fresh ginger really makes this recipe so make sure your ginger is fresh (should be yellow and juicy inside) and don’t substitute for powdered.