A flavourful and fragrant fried rice that is easy to make and comes with a meat and vegetarian option. Makes 4 servings.
We have made this twice in the last two days. The first day we made it with chicken breast, the second day we made a vegetarian version. Both turned out delicious.
- 4-5 cups Cooked (and cooled if you have time) jasmine rice (2 to 2.5 cups uncooked)
- 3-4 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2-3 Coloured peppers
- 2 Large or 4 small grated carrots
- 1 Carton shitake mushrooms chopped, stems removed
- 3-6 Cloves chopped garlic (depending on your tastebuds)
- 1 Bunch basil, chopped
- 2 Chicken breasts diced (for the meat version)
- 1 Cup cashews, coarsely chopped (for the vegan option)
- Chopped pineapple and cilantro for garnish (optional)
- 5 Tbsp. black bean sauce
- 1 – 1.5 Tbsp. sugar
- 3 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 1/8 – 1/4 cup soya sauce
Add vegetable oil to wok or large pan and heat until smoking.
Add garlic and let cook a few seconds to infuse the oil with garlic. Then add peppers, mushrooms, and grated carrot.
If using chicken, add the diced chicken at this time.
Add sauce and let cook for 3-5 minutes if using just veggies. If using chicken cook until the chicken is no longer pink.
Add rice and stir continuously for a few minutes. It is important to keep stirring so the rice doesn’t stick and burn.
Stir in cashews and basil and turn off heat.
Leave a Reply